Panel: Agents of Change for Inclusivity

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
How can we all play our part to ensure a more diverse and inclusive sector?

Dr Florence Theberge
(Moderator)
♦ Publishing Development Manager (Fairer Society) at Emerald Publishing
Dr Katharina Bader
♦ Associate Professor of International HR Management at Northumbria University
Dr Yaz Osho
♦ Senior Lecturer at the University of Westminster
Ana Luíza Rossato Facco
♦ PhD Candidate in Business Management at Unisinos Business School

Recent global attention to issues around equality, diversity and inclusion has prompted organisations to re-examine their activities and look for ways to make their environments fairer and more inclusive. We know that diversity and inclusion benefits individuals, teams, organisations and society; so how can we all play our part and learn from each other? Drawing upon the results from Emerald’s Global Inclusivity Report 2022 and the views of our expert panel, we will discuss the challenges academia faces, what more publishers can do and what opportunities there are to embrace an inclusive ecosystem.

Welcome!

We look forward to discussing with you the challenges academia faces around equality, diversity and inclusion, and ways all actors in the research ecosystem inclusing publishers can play their part to promote and support a fairer, more divers and inclusive landscape.
During this session, I will be joined by Academics with an active role in the EDI field and consider the latest results of the Emerald's Global Inclusivity Report https://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/global-inclusivity-report-2022

Please feel free to post your questions/comments here in advance of the session.

Thank you!

I am curious about the different terms that are being employed alongside "EDI" e.g., Equity, Justice, Inclusion, and Belonging (EJIB); Justice Equity Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI); Diversity Equity Inclusion and Accessibility (DEIA). Are these just geographical differences or disciplinary? Or is there an important emphasis that is being lost by just using "EDI"?

Good question. I've wondered the same. I'll add it to a list of questions for new C4Disc community calls (in the planning).

I was a fan of JEDI as it seemed neat and cute, and then I read an article that pointed out that "the Jedi are inappropriate symbols for justice work. They are a religious order of intergalactic police-monks, prone to (white) saviorism and toxically masculine approaches to conflict resolution (violent duels with phallic lightsabers, gaslighting by means of “Jedi mind tricks,” etc.).

More seriously, I think that a lot of these terms get caught up 'extended inclusionism', where in a workshop someone says 'equity, diversity and inclusion' are all very well, but what about social justice?", or access or belonging, so that gets tacked on.
Like LG... B... T... Q... Q... I... A... +...
It comes from a generous and inclusive instinct, but turns into a bit of a mess.

Back