(moderator)
♦ Director of Community Engagement at Delta Think
Peter Berkery
♦ Executive Director at the Association of University Presses
Simon Inger
♦ Co-founder & Chief Revenue Officer at Cadmore Media
Emma Vodden
♦ Director of Publishing at Bone & Joint Publishing

As more and more academic conferences and events are being recorded, societies and associations are increasingly looking to video content to diversify revenue streams and increase member value. When the global pandemic moved meetings to the virtual, then hybrid space, researchers and event attendees grew accustomed to consuming meeting content in both synchronous and on demand environments. Member organizations are exploring different business models to monetize meeting content beyond events, enabling individual and institutional consumption, broadening awareness by geography and by discipline. From the aspirational to the practical, this conversation will build upon lessons learned and promote best practices.

Below is a lightly curated copy of the points raised in the text chat during the session:
Tasha Mellins-Cohen​
Q: If video content is being treated as published output, what's the long term preservation strategy?​
Laura Harvey​
Q: How are societies enriching video content from events to make an engaging on-demand event experience?​
Christina Emery​
Q: The topic of permissions usually crops up. Who's generally responsible for getting permissions to share content from workshops held at conferences? The main conference organiser or the workshop facilitators? (Also relevant to R2R ;) )​
Karin Wulf​
q: a lot of history conferences have done video content of specific panels for public service - are other disciplines doing this kind of selected / strategic/ service approach?​
Laura Harvey​
Additional Q: what does quality control look like for leveraging video event content for ongoing use?​
Jake Zarnegar​
Q: A key consideration is how to fully integrate this new video/meetings content with existing research content and researcher web traffic rather than publishing it on a new product island. How are panelists inserting this content into existing attention channels (or are they building separately)?​
Bernie Folan​
Following on from Laura's question, can the panelists outline a couple of clear benefits of an enhanced published conference session to a simple YouTube video of a session with captioning? And any outcomes that warrant going the extra mile?​
Paul Killoran​
Q: Conferences are the embodiment of the community. How do we use content to drive community (rather than seeing them as static objects (to monetise))?​
chuck hemenway​
Have their been special steps taken to formalize video participant consent?​
Simon Holt​
One purpose of conferences is the synchronised exchange of ideas. Over time, as things evolve, some ideas become discredited or outdated. How can we mitigate the risk of a speaker's reputation becoming damaged due to a conference talk they made 10 or 20 years ago if everything is recorded and permanently available? I'm thinking about OA sceptics of the early 2000s, for example.​
Bernie Folan​
Great question Simon! I guess that's what leads to people not wanting to be recorded partly.​
Simon Holt​
Yes - or, worse - not wanting to participate in case they end up on the 'losing side' of the argument over time. I don't think that's healthy on several levels.​
Bernie Folan​
That was my question. I'm not referring to surgeons how to but a conference session like this one. Maybe it doesn't apply to general Scholarly communications events.....​
Karin Wulf​
Simon I think it’s also the potential for public attention to sensitive content - historians all over are being attacked for evidence-based history. A conference session where you’re workshopping ideas and material can be a disaster if social media trolls get activated.​
Phill Jones​
Isn't one of the big value adds for a published video, as apposed to youtube, is the metadata and a DOI with links to ORCID, ROR, Grant IDs etc?​
Bernie Folan​
Thanks Phill, I realise I'm thinking of general scholarly communications events rather than stem or disciplinary events.​

Back